The Musgrave Engine House
This building dates from 1910 and was a replacement for an earlier engine house constructed in 1818. It contains the remains of a Musgrave Uniflow engine, built in Bolton, which used rope drives to power a series of nearby rolling mills. In their day Musgrave Uniflow engines were considered to represent the highest expression of the boilermaker’s art. The building now provides a rare example of a surviving steam engine still to be found in its original working location, and it is the only Musgrave to be found in Wales. The steam engine was in use as recently as 1980, but since then it has suffered extensive damage. Outside the building is to be found the remains of rolling machinery.