This is an early industrial river quay dating from the origins of the Hafod Copperworks in1810. The River Tawe connected the works with the port of Swansea, and it was at this quay that copper ore imported from around the world was unloaded from ships and taken into the storage yards and smelting halls of the works.
Across the river can be seen the site of the former White Rock works. Originally a copper works, White Rock survived as an industrialised site for an extraordinary 191 years between 1737 and 1928. On the site are to be found many industrial remains, the most notable of which is John Smith’s canal of 1783-4, part of which runs underground.
The No 1 Rolling Mill was built on the quay at the beginning of the 20th century.