Entrance to the Hafod Works
The main entry point to the Hafod works was provided by this gateway, which workers accessed via a bridge over the Swansea Canal. Many of the workers lived in nearby Trevivian or Vivian’s Town (now Hafod), a settlement along the Neath Road built in stages by the Vivian family from 1837 onwards. The canal bridge has been built over and become hidden in recent years but remains of the canal are to be found close to this spot. Also to be found nearby is the Works’ Office (now Landore Social Club) and a lime kiln built during the mid-nineteenth century. The kiln is the last of 54 limekilns that once stood alongside the Swansea Canal. Wagon-loads of limestone were pushed up a ramp and emptied in from the top of the kiln. Unlike many other kilns of this time, the lime produced was used for building and not agricultural purposes. The limestone came to the Hafod Copperworks from Mumbles via the Oystermouth Railway and Swansea Canal.